Sunday, May 8, 2011

I wish I never tried to steal home base

I used to love to play baseball.  When I played little league, I was the catcher.  It was so cool to put on all of the catcher's gear; the mask, the chest protector, the shin guards, and then use the neat catcher's mitt.  It was a little scary to crouch behind the batter and almost get hit by the swinging bat.  But it was fun because I was in on almost every play, even if it was to just catch the pitched ball and throw it back to the pitcher.  One problem, I didn't have a very strong arm.  Catchers need to be able to throw down to second base when a runner tries to steal.  I'm not sure I ever threw a runner out at second.

I was a fast runner and liked to steal bases when I got a chance.  I remember one game we were behind and I got on base in the final inning.  Somehow I worked my way around to third base.  I can't remember if others on my team got hits or if I stole 2nd and 3rd base.  When I got to 3rd base, I noticed that the pitcher would always walk a few steps toward the catcher before receiving the ball from him.  Then he would turn around and walk back to the pitcher's mound.  It seemed to me that whenever he did this he lost track of me standing on third base.  I thought that I might be able to steal home if I took off just as he turned and started his walk back to the mound.  So without any signal from the coach, I took off for home after the next pitch.  Well, the pitcher immediately saw me break for home and just had to turn around and lob the ball to the catcher.  The catcher caught the ball about 10 minutes before I got to the base.  He just had to stand there and tag me as I futilely tried to slide in safe.  I was out.  It was the last out of the inning, the last out of the game.  We had lost and it was my fault.  If I had stayed on base instead of trying to steal, who knows what would have happened with the batters that were next in line.  We might have won.  The other players were really mad at me and the coach was really mad at me.  It was not a happy time for me.

I learned that I should wait for instructions from my coach before doing something as crazy as trying to steal home.  I also learned that I misjudged my own capabilities.  I thought I was fast enough to make it to home plate before the pitcher noticed me.  It turns out, nobody is that fast.

2 comments:

  1. I remember stealing FIRST base once when I played softball. That was pretty embarrassing as well since I learned later you can just over-run first :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mia: Thanks for telling us to listen to 'structions.
    Xander: Good job telling the stow-ey. Don't ever cheat.
    CJ: Nice try sucka. hee hee

    ReplyDelete