Sunday, May 15, 2011

Don't pound on bullets

When I was little, it must have been when I was about 4 years old, my friend and I found some .22 bullets in his garage.  We thought it would be fun to pound on them with a hammer and make a neat explosion.  So we put them on the work bench one at a time and hit them with the hammer till they shot off.  We had no idea that besides the explosion, the .22 slug was also shooting out into the air.  We were lucky that we didn't get killed.

Anyway, after I hit one of the bullets it shot off and the slug grazed the middle finger on my right hand.  I don't remember it hurting too much, but I do remember that it bled a lot.  I ran home to get some first aid and knew I would be in trouble.  I remember making up a story (that is, I told a lie) that I had cut my finger in my friend's toy lawnmower.  I had just made things worse by telling that lie.  Eventually the truth came out and I got in trouble for hitting bullets and for telling a lie.  I still have a scar on the back of the middle finger of my right hand. 

I learned that it was not good to pound on bullets and it was not good to lie.

1 comment:

  1. CRAZY! You did that when you were 4 years old?:) My kids are going to love this one. I'll have to tell them about it when they wake up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete