Monday, May 23, 2011

I forgot about my paper route

I had a paper route when I was in 7th and 8th grade.  Every afternoon (except Sundays when we did the route in the morning) I would go to a pick-up box at the entrance to our subdivision and get my papers.  I had to roll them up, put a rubber band around them, and stick them in a bag that went over my neck (with papers in a large front pocket and a large back pocket).  Then I would ride my bike through the neighborhood and throw a paper on the driveway or porch of those who subscribed.  At the end of each month, I had to go to each house and "collect" the money that they owed for the month.

One Saturday, my parents needed to go to Sacramento (about 2 hours away) and left me by myself because I had collecting to do.  That morning I went over to my friend, Pat Erickson's, house to see if he wanted to play.  He told me that he was going with his family to Santa Rosa (also about 2 hours away, but in a different direction).  He asked me if I wanted to go.  I knew I was supposed to be doing my collecting, but figured there would still be time to do it another day.  And I really wanted to go.  So I said yes and got in the car with the Ericksons and off we went.  After we had been on the road for about an hour I had a terrible realization.  My paper route!  I needed to deliver the papers that day and I was on my way to Santa Rosa.  I can't describe how sick I felt.  But I also didn't want to make Mrs. Erickson mad at me by saying I had to go back home.

So I just hoped the trip to Santa Rosa would be short and that we would return in time for me to deliver my papers.  I felt terrible all day long.  And the trip wasn't short.  The Ericksons stayed in Santa Rosa forever.  It was well after dark when we finally got home.  I found out that my boss had had to deliver the papers for me.  My parents weren't home from Sacramento yet and I just waited knowing that I was in big trouble.  When they got home, I had to tell them what happened and they were not happy.  I ended up getting grounded and having to pay my boss for delivering my papers.  Luckily, he did not fire me. 

I have tried to never let this sort of thing with any job happen again.  When other people are paying you to do a job, they have a right to expect that you will do the job to the best of your ability, and that you will not shirk your responsibilities.  I hope I am a better employee now because of the things I learned from messing up as a paper boy.

1 comment:

  1. I love your stories! I used to have a paper route too. People who have had a paper route as a kid are so so cool and probably smarter!

    ReplyDelete