Sunday, September 25, 2011

I can see clearly

I had to get glasses when I was in sixth grade.  Before that, I guess I couldn't see very well for awhile.  I remember that I had to squint my eyes in order to see.  I can remember a family trip to a drive-in movie.  A drive-in movie is where you drive your car into the movie lot and stay in it and watch through the windshield.  We had to park so far away from the screen that I couldn't see very well.  I remember how tired my face got from all of the squinting.  It was my sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Clough, who called me up to her desk one day and asked me if I was having trouble seeing.  I guess she could tell that I was having trouble seeing the blackboard at the front of the room.  She sent me to the school nurse who gave me a vision test and determined that I was probably near sighted.  Near sighted means not being able to see things clearly that are far away.  My parents took me to an eye doctor and I got a full vision test.  Sure enough, I was near sighted.  The doctor determined the correct prescription for my glasses and we ordered a pair. 

It was at this vision appointment that I also found out that I am red-green colorblind.  The nurse gave me a series of pages to look at that had a lot of dots of different colors.  Sometimes I could see that the dots formed certain numbers, and sometimes I couldn't see any pattern within the dots.  Being red-green colorblind means that when certain shades of green and red are side by side, I can't tell them apart.  It is something that is inherited and only affects boys.  Those of you who are sons of any of my daughters (Jared, Porter, Reid, Sam, Luke, Brig, Dodge (and any boys that Abby has)) have a chance that you are colorblind like me. Don't worry, its not that bad.  Those of you who are sons of my sons (Xander, Jess) probably won't be colorblind.

Anyway, I remember when I finally got my glasses how clear everything became.  I guess I had just gotten used to not seeing things very well.  It is definitely better to see clearly.

1 comment: