Sunday, June 5, 2011

I'm sorry I didn't stick with football

I love football.  I have always loved it.  I was really excited to play tackle football when I finally entered high school.  I remember that first summer of football practices.  It was hard, tiring, hot, and fun.  I was pretty fast, but not really big or strong so I decided to play defensive back.  My biggest problem was that I wore glasses and had to take them off whenever I had on my football helmet.  I really couldn't see very well without glasses and that affected my playing.  It was especially bad if we played at night.  Even though the field lights were on, I couldn't see as well without my glasses when it was dark.

I did pretty well my freshman year and got to play quite a bit.  My sophomore year I played on the junior varsity team but didn't do as well and didn't play as much.  Most sophomores were invited to play on the varsity team when they became juniors.  I wasn't invited and was going to have to play on the junior varsity team for another year while all of my friends played on the varsity team.  I was humiliated and decided to quit the team.  If I would have stuck it out I am sure my skills would have gotten better and I would have been a good player on the varsity team my senior year. 

When my senior year came, I really regretted that I wasn't playing on the team.  They needed some good players with speed and I probably could have contributed.  One of the football coaches was always telling me that they could have used me.  I went to every game as a spectator instead of a player.  I missed out on some real fun and growth because I was too proud to play junior varsity for a second year.  If I had it to do over again, I would have played that junior year and prepared myself for a great senior year.  I have tried since to not let my pride get in the way of what is best for me.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you could even play without wearing your glasses! This is a good lesson to learn.

    ReplyDelete