Sunday, June 19, 2011

Be careful what you eat

When I was in high school I had a good friend named Clint Chew who was Chinese.  He helped me get a job working in the Chinese food restaurant in food court of the Sun Valley Mall in Concord, CA.  About three days a week I would work there after school.  We had a steam table with different foods for the customers to choose from.  There was fried rice, and chow mein, chow yuck, sweet and sour shrimp, egg fu young, and many others that I don't remember.  Customers could get a 2-item plate or a 3-item plate.  They would tell me which food they wanted and I would spoon a serving of it onto their plate.  Egg fu young came with a choice of gravy.  So, if a customer asked for egg fu young, I asked them if they wanted gravy with it.  One night, a customer wanted egg fu young and I asked, "Do you want gravy with that?"  As I opened my mouth to speak, I drooled all over the food on the plate.  Nobody saw it, and I was embarrassed so I didn't say anything about it.  I just finished the order and gave the customer his plate, drool and all.  It was probably the best egg fu young he had every eaten.

4 comments:

  1. We like to read your entries at Family Home Evening and talk about what lesson we learn from your story. Today as I read, I couldn't get through it btw, I was cracking up the entire time. I asked the kids what lesson we learned and Mia said,"You should watch if people spit on your food."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a story I remember you telling me as a child. So funny!

    ReplyDelete