Sunday, August 7, 2011

I wish I had stuck with piano lessons

My sister, Patricia, and my brother, David are both excellent piano players.  When we were growing up we had a piano in the house and were given the opportunity to take piano lessons.  I think my piano teacher was a woman named Magleby.  If I remember right, her husband was a mortician and they lived next to a mortuary (or maybe their house was part of the mortuary?).  Once a week my mom would take me to the mortuary for my piano lesson.  I think I was about 10 years old.  To get good at playing the piano you have to practice regularly.  I hated to practice.  I was more interested in playing baseball and other outdoor sports.  Playing the piano didn't seem "manly" enough for me.  Anyway, I finally got my parents to agree to let me stop taking piano lessons (maybe after about 2 years?).  I don't remember how much contention there was about the manner, I just know my progress in being able to play the piano stopped.

I did play the trumpet in Intermediate School and in High School.  I can read music.  I can sing.  I like music.  And now I regret that I can't play the piano any better.  We have a piano, and I have continued to teach myself a little bit at the time, but I am not good enough to accompany anybody.  I can play most hymns, but as soon as somebody signs along, I get all flustered and goof up.  I guess I have not been willing enough to pay the price (practice time) to get better.  You will never regret it if you learn how to play the piano.  If you get the chance, I encourage you to stick with your piano lessons until you can play well enough to at least play the hymns while people are singing.  A little practice now will pay off for many years to come.

1 comment:

  1. So true. I always get nervous when I have to play while people are singing--It's much harder!

    ReplyDelete