Sunday, April 17, 2011

It feels good to do a job well

One Saturday my mom asked me to clean the garage.  I wasn't all that happy about having to do this chore and I only gave half an effort.  When I told my mom that I was done, she came out to inspect my work and let me know in no uncertain terms that I had not done a good enough job.  Then she proceeded to show me what a good job looked like.  Where I had just swept around moveable stuff like food storage cans or bicycles, she pulled all of those things away from the wall and swept behind them.  Where I had just straightened up things that were on the workbench, she put everything in its proper place.

I remember feeling upset that my mom had taken me to task, and made a vow that I would clean the garage so well that she could have nothing bad to say about the job.  I worked for hours (as I recollect) to get the garage as clean as possible, all along thinking, "I will show her."  When I was done, the garage was something good to behold.  My mom was pleased with how well I did the job, I did show her.  But more importantly, I felt good about myself and learned for the first time about the good feelings that come after doing a job well. 

Since then, I can't say that I have always done my best with every job, but when I have, I always get that same feeling of self satisfaction.  It is well worth the time and effort to do a job right.

1 comment:

  1. I think I will be reading this to my kids every morning while they are complaining about their chores,"Well, at least you don't have to clean the entire garage!"

    ReplyDelete